Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Condiments Jazzed up

So I'm making about hundredth version of my fry sauce, known to the family as GOOP, and I think "I've never written down any of my condiment recipes."  I just make a big batches and keep them in the fridge.  No wonder the kids that don't live here call me at weird hours and ask how to make that special sauce for ham or roast beef or chicken or fries or whatever.

I like strong flavors that compliment the food.  Plain ketchup, mayonnaise, and mustard just don't have oomph.  They lack a certain balance.  When I make a sandwich, dip a veggie (potatoes are a veggie even fried, yes they are), or sauce a cut of meat I want every bite to sing.

I have  three "go to" condiments. GOOP is good on almost everything - sandwiches, veggies, hot and cold meats.  We use it for taco sauce sometimes.  Horseradish Sauce isn't just for beef.  We like it on chicken, turkey, pork, and I caught my daughter making tuna salad with The Horseradish sauce.  Honey Mustard Sauce is good on veggies, chicken, ham, and who remembers what else we've ate it with.

Note: I use Nalley Light Mayonnaise Dressing exclusively.  We like it best.  Use the Mayonnaise you like best.  No one has tested these recipes with Salad Dressing (Miracle Whip.)
GOOP:
1//2 cup light Mayonnaise
1/2 cup ketchup (use the good stuff)
Choose from the following spices:
1 Tablespoon A-1 Steaksauce  (original flavor) plus ground black pepper to taste
-OR-
1 teaspoon Sriracha 
-OR-
1  Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Horseradish Sauce :
1 cup light mayonnaise
1/4 cup +/- prepared horseradish (we like it strong, IF it's too much for you add more Mayo)
2 Tablespoons Honey

Honey Mustard Sauce:
1 cup Dijon mustard (any brand)
1/2  cup honey
2 Tablespoons +/- rice vinegar (white wine vinegar may be used but it tastes harsher)

Method:
In a suitable sized bowl, combine all ingredients for the desired sauce.  Mix well.  Store covered in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment